You are here:
Home
Public Works Home
Road Status
Solid Waste Home
Road Dept Home
News Releases
Documents
Projects
Bridges
Roads
Signs
Vegetation Program
Natural Disasters
Road Dept Funding
Road Advisory Comm
FAQs
Links & Utilities
Contact Us

The below bridge photos come from the Tillamook County 1942 Bridge Inspections Reports.

North County, Central County, South County

This is a picture of Cloverdale Bridge constructed in 1925.

A Few Notes:

  • Very few of 1942 bridges inspected still exist.  Most have either been replaced with newer bridges (some replaced more than once since 1942) or with replaced by culverts.  Of the original bridges listed below, Earl Bridge is the only original bridge still remaining.
  • Public Works has inspection records for a large number of bridges in-place during that time period.  The photos below represent some of the more interesting ones or are photos that include familiar terrain or buildings you may still recognize; even though the bridge may be long gone.
  • We have other existing bridges which pre-date 1942 but we do not have the respective inspection records.  (An example is Killam Creek Bridge on South Prairie Road.  In 1942 South Prairie Road was part of the State Hwy system and therefore was not one of our bridges at the time.)
  •  

    North County

    Barber Bridge:  Constructed in 1938, replaced in 1955, and then replaced again since.  Located on Barber Road over the North Fork Nehalem near the Clatsop County line. This photo is taken facing West probably standing in the middle of Hwy 53.  The field and hills in the background look the same today. Photo

    McDonald (Dike) Bridge:  Constructed in 1929 and since then replaced.  Located near North Fork Nehalem Road.   Photo 1, Photo 2, Current Photo (roughly same viewpoint)

    Salmonberry Bridge :  Constructed in 1940 by the Civilian Conversation Corps and since then replaced.  This bridge is located at Milepost 13 on Foss Road.  Note the curvature of the bridge deck.  Photo 1, Photo 2

    CCC Bridge:  Constructed in 1936 by the Civilian Conversation Corps and the US Forest Service and since then replaced.  This bridge is only bridge across the Nehalem River on Foss Road (at mile post 6).  Photo 1, Photo 2

    Moss Creek Bridge:  Constructed in 1927 and since then replaced.  Located on Moss Creek Road near Miami-Foley Road.  The first photo was taken standing in the middle of the Miami-Foley Road facing in the easterly direction.  Photo 1, Photo 2

    Back to the top

     

    Central County

    Curl Bridge:  Constructed in 1923 and since then replaced.  Bridge crosses over the Kilchis River on Curl Road.    Photo 1, Photo 2, Current Photo 1, Current Photo 2

    Josi Bridge:  Constructed in 1936 by Coates Lumber Company who logged much of this area.  It is located on Kansas Creek Road just off Hwy 6 at about mile post 10.  The second photo was taken probably looking North. Photo 1, Photo 2

    Sollie Smith Bridge:  Constructed in 1910 and since then replaced.  The 1942 location of this road is not the same location as the current Wilson River Loop.  This bridge is located about 500 ft down stream from the current bridge.  The standing cement filled steel columns at the North bank of the Wilson River can still be seen today.    Photo 1, Photo 2, Current Photo (of the columns viewed from the current bridge looking west)

    Tone Bridge:  Constructed in 1938 and replaced in 1998 along with the Tone Overflow Bridge to the North (near Les Schwab).  This bridge was located on Tillamook River Road about a 1/3 mile South of the Tillamook City limits.  The bridge in the construction photo was just replaced in 1998 along with the Tone Overflow Bridge to the North (near Les Schwab).  Photo 1, Photo 2, Current Photo, Construction Photo

    Tillamook River Bridge:  Constructed in 1913 and since then replaced twice, most recently in 1999.  This bridge is located on Bewley Creek Road about 1000 feet from the intersection with Tillamook River Road and Hwy 101.  Photo 1, Photo 2, Current Photo (same view), Construction Photo

    Earl Bridge:  Constructed in 1941 and still in place.  Located on Long Prairie Road over Mill Creek (just East of the Blimp Base main entrance).  This was one of the early concrete span bridges in the County.  Photo 1, Photo 2, Current Photo (taken from the east end)

    Johnson Bridge:  Constructed in 1928 and since then replaced.  Located on Long Prairie Road over the Trask River.  The second photo was taken looking to the northeast.  Photo 1, Photo 2

    Burton Bridge :  Constructed in 1931 and since then replaced.  Tillamook River Road near Burton-Fraser Road. Both photos are looking toward the North.  Photo 1, Photo 2, Current Photo (from south end)

    Fagan Slough Bridge:  Constructed in 1930 and since then replaced.  Located at the West end of Burton-Fraser Road.  The barn in the photo is still present.  Photo, Current Photo (same angle)

    Blaser Bridge:  Constructed in 1912 on Tillamook River Road near Weber Road.  The terrain in the background is still recognizable today.  In 2003 this bridge was replaced.  Photo 1, Photo 2, Current Photo

    Whiskey Creek Bridge :  Constructed in 1930 and since then replaced.  Located on Whiskey Creek Road south of Netarts Bay Drive.  Three Arch Rocks can be made out in the distance on the left in the first photo.  Photo 1, Photo 2

    Back to the top

     

    South County

    Ollie Woods Bridge:  Constructed in 1921 and since then replaced.  This is the first bridge on Blaine Road heading east.  Standing at the end of RO Richards Road you can recognize the same bank configuration.  Photo 1, Photo 2

    Shorty Farmer Bridge:  Constructed in 1913 and since then replaced twice.  This is the 2nd bridge on Blaine Road heading east.  When this bridge was replaced, the leftover cement filled steel columns were abandoned in the Nestucca River (they can still be seen lying in the river).  The school house in the photographs is still present today and is being used as a residence.  Photo 1, Photo 2

    Moon Creek Bridge:  Constructed in 1938 and recently replaced in 1998.  Located at mile post 1.9 on Moon Creek Road. The picture is looking north.  Photo

    (Whalen) Island Bridge:  Constructed in 1933 and since then replaced.  Even today with current construction standards this bridge proves challenging to maintain as the tide strongly pulls in and out under this bridge 4 times a day.  Photo 1, Photo 2

    Cloverdale Bridge:  Constructed in 1925 and since then replaced.  Located in Cloverdale on Woods-Cloverdale Road over the Nestucca River.  Photo 1, Photo 2

    Woods Bridge:  Constructed in 1929 and since replaced.  Located at the South end of Ferry Street at Resort Drive in Woods.  This bridge was constructed when the ferry operation at this site failed to be worth the effort.  Photo 1, Photo 2

    Pacific City Bridge:  Constructed in 1940 and since then replaced.  Also known as the "Erza Beachy Bridge."  Both photos are looking toward the West.  At the far end of the bridge was the vehicle turnaround.  Cape Kiwanda Drive was virtually non-existent along with all the housing on the far west side of the Nestucca River.  Photo 1, Photo 2

    Pacific City Slough Bridge:  Constructed in 1941 and since then replaced.  Note in the second photo the lack of buildup in the area.  It is tough to make out in this scanned photo, but the Pacific City Bridge is in the middle horizon of the first photo.   It is likely that this road is in a slightly different location compared to Brooten Road now.  Photo 1, Photo 2

    Back to the top

     

    Last Updated: Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:39 AM

    Copyright 2000-2014 Tillamook County. All Rights Reserved
    E-mail comments or suggestions to Webmaster
    Disclaimer and Privacy Statement